To be an effective network that creates positive change for and with people involved in environmental care, the Oikos Network needs to make use of certain kinds of information about our participants.
Tearfund is an international Christian relief and development NGO based in the UK.
Tearfund is committed to protecting your privacy. We aim to ensure that any information you give us is held securely and safely.
A full list of the network partners organisations can be found here.
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect data from this website for a number of reasons, primarily to contact you about your application to join a peer-support group, and then relevant information about the ongoing activities of the Oikos Network. We do this by collecting personal data that you provide to us online and by collecting and analysing data from the website. In some areas of our website, for example the form, you may provide us with personal data. Website usage information is collected using cookies.
The information collected is likely to include:
- Personal details like your name, date of birth and gender
- Contact details, like your nationality, the country you live in, phone numbers and email address
- Details of your involvement and communication with the Oikos Network, including applications, correspondence, event attendance
- Communication preferences
WHY WE’RE INTERESTED
The information we gather helps us to send you the right thing at the right time – to share information about your allocated peer-support group, send you updates and information on the Oikos Network, and to provide you with products or services.
We use the personal information that you provide for the reasons you have supplied it and for any other reason for which you have given us permission to do so.
The Oikos Network may use your personal and/or sensitive information in the following ways:
- To allocate you to a peer-support group
- To educate and inform you about the Oikos Network and its work
- To promote events, products, programs and services that are designed to support the Oikos Network
- To respond to your comments or questions
- Or for any purposes that the Oikos Network may specifically communicate at the time of collecting your personal information.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you (prior to collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us.
OUR BASIS FOR PROCESSING
We are required by data protection law to have an appropriate legal basis for the processing of your personal data. When processing your personal data we rely upon:
- where you have given us your consent to contact you or hold your information.
- where it is in our legitimate interests to do so as outlined above
- Where we rely upon our legitimate interest to process your data (including contacting you), we only do so after carefully considering how it might impact upon you and your rights and weighing this up against our need to contact you.
Tearfund collects personal and sensitive information from you directly in relation to the Oikos Network. Most commonly, you provide that data to Tearfund by signing up to join a group on the Oikos Network website, providing details over email, or by participating in an Oikos Network event where you voluntarily provide or input personal information.
Some of your personal information may also be collected automatically as set out below.
In addition to information given explicitly by you, cookies may be used to collect information about your visit to our website (for example, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, device information, communication data, the date and time of your visit and the pages that you view). This information is collected in aggregate form and is anonymous. This kind of data helps us to understand how our visitors use our site so that future website development can better meet your needs.
We may also use this automatically collected information for the following:
- to customise the content on the website and to such visitors’ current and future needs
- to process any requests, applications or transactions undertaken by you
- for internal administration and analysis
USE OF IP ADDRESSES
We collect IP addresses to obtain aggregate information on the use of this website. An IP address is a number assigned to your computer by a web server when you’re on the web. When you are on our site, we have a server that logs your computer’s IP address.
We only use the information we find out from tracking IP addresses in the aggregate, such as how many users entered a specific area of our site, and not to track a specific IP address to identify an individual user. However, we may use such information to identify a user if we feel that there are or may be safety and/or security issues or to comply with legal requirements.
Tearfund does not sell, rent, or disclose any personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes.
Tearfund does not purchase or use personal information supplied by third parties. We will not access or make use of any personal information you may have shared previously with the Oikos Network organisations directly unless you have given specific consent for this.
The personal information we collect from you will be stored on a centralised Oikos Network database. This database is accessible by specified staff of each of the Oikos Network organisations. You will only receive communication (if you opt in) from one of the Oikos Network organisations in relation to the Oikos Network activities. You will not receive marketing communications from the Oikos Network organisations unless you have specifically opted in.
Tearfund may also share your information:
- With third parties who are providing service in support of the Oikos Network. For example, to an email application such as Mailchimp for the purposes of mailing information to you; or
- In accordance with legal requirements.
In these limited cases, Tearfund will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the data is secure and used only for the intended, single purpose. Appropriate confidentiality and use agreements are in place with the Consortium members to ensure security and privacy of data.
RESPECTING YOUR PRIVACY
Tearfund endeavours to keep the data we hold about you up to date. Should you spot any errors, or you no longer wish to receive information from us, please contact us.
SAFE AND SECURE
We maintain a high level of physical and electronic security in relation to the collection, storage and disclosure of your information. We take reasonable steps to ensure that any information we hold about you is protected.
While we make every reasonable effort to ensure that information sent to us is done so securely, we cannot warrant the security of information transmitted to us through the internet. When you transmit information to us via the internet, you do so at your own risk.
We will keep your personal information only for as long as we consider it necessary to carry out each activity. We take account of legal obligations, accounting and tax considerations as well as considering what would be reasonable for the activity concerned. We implement this in accordance with Tearfund’s data retention policy.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Tearfund holds and processes personal details in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation or any other data protection legislation in force and is registered with the Information Commissioner, as data controller.
Data Protection Officer
100 Church Road
You have the right to:
- ask us to erase your personal data;
- restrict processing of your personal data;
- object to processing of your personal data, for example where we have relied upon legitimate interest for processing your personal data;
- object to automated decision making and profiling;
- personal data portability (ie asking for your data to be made available electronically for another organisation);
- access to your information. You have the right to request details of the information we hold about you. We will respond within one month of receiving your request.
- ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
You can exercise these rights at any time by:
writing to us at:
Data Protection Officer
100 Church Road
emailing us at: [email protected]
calling us on +44 20 3906 3906
For more information about your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation you can visit the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/
CHANGES TO TEARFUND’S PRIVACY STATEMENT
This policy was created in August 2022. From time to time, we may make changes to this statement to keep it up to date and relevant. Please make sure you check regularly to see what’s changed.
If you have any concerns or if you wish to make a complaint you can do so as follows:
Calling us on: +44 20 3906 3906
Emailing us on: [email protected]
Writing to us at:
Data Protection Officer
100 Church Road
You also have the right to lodge a complaint about the use of your personal data with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), the UK data protection regulator. You can do so by calling the ICO helpline or through the ICO website. Details can be found at https://ico.org.uk/concerns